Sunday, November 24, 2013

Carl Perkins


carl_perkins.JPG.jpgurl.jpg


I love the first picture!  So, #99 on the Rolling Stones Top 100 artists list is CARL PERKINS.  He is most famously known for writing "Blue Suede Shoes".  It's a shame Elvis got the credit for that song because Carl really does a better version of it!  His style is Rockabilly, and he does it very well.  I can't listen to Rockabilly all day long, but I do appreciate his talent as a singer and songwriter.  It would be fun dancing to him.  He is especially impressive as a guitarist.  What makes him more impressive is how he learned to play. (read about him here!)  I recognized 4 songs that the Beatles covered:  Honey Don't, Everybody's Trying to be My Baby, Roll Over Beethoven and Matchbox.  My favorite of his songs is Honky Tonk Gal.  

Carl also collaborated with Johnny Cash.  A great album he worked on with Johnny is Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison.  Carl was the guitarist for this show and helped write some songs.  It's a great, dark album.

You don't come across many musicians today who come from truly humble beginnings and have the ambition and discipline to live out their dream with dignity.  That's all I have to say about Carl.   

1 comment:

  1. I loved seeing your post about fun music. I love music, too. And although I love my Elvis. I do agree with you that sometimes it's fun to hear all that the old country western genre has to offer. Good simple times back then! Love ya Margie! - Izzy ♥

    ReplyDelete